Campaign Guidance - South Africa - PSMS
South Africa Guidance & Regulations
- You should be clear and transparent about the product or service the consumer is about to purchase;
- You must be upfront and clear about the costs to the consumer before they make a purchase;
- Consumers should be made aware of exactly how and by what means they will receive the product or service;
- You need to be very clear about how the consumer can opt-out or otherwise cancel the service or product and receive a refund as appropriate.
Always include and be clear about:
- Pricing information must not be misleading. For one-time transactions, the pricing information must be clearly displayed e.g. "RX once off".
- The price must be directly above or below the call to action, e.g. MSISDN entry box and keyword and short code.
- A clear service description must be included, explaining what the consumer is going to get when they complete a payment.
- Content services - If the consumer can only access the content via the device that they paid on, this must be made clear on the home page.
- The customer support number, which must be charged at no more than the basic rate.
- Any handset compatibility requirements for the service.
- An indication that network fees may apply.
- An indication of how billing errors are handled e.g. "Any issues or help with your payment please contact XXXXX".
- A statement that the service must only be used with the permission of the bill-payer.
- The registered company name of the WASPA member providing the service. Speak with us if you have any issues with this.
Billed message: You need to include the service name, price and support details, along with the content if this is applicable.
Stop message: This is not required for one-time services however, if you implement a free trial period, then the consumer can be given the option to opt-out during the free trial.
Customer care / Refund Policy
Question? Speak with our Compliance Team for any advice for this or any other market.